|HOME | SPORTS | INDIA DOWN UNDER | NEWS | REPORT|
|January 7, 2000||
Not consulted on Shoaib ban, says Pras
E.A.S Prasanna, India's representative on the ICC panel which banned Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar, today denied being party to the decision to ban the bowler.
"I did not participate in the tele-conference. I was inducted into the panel on the first of January this year and hence could not participate in the teleconference whereby Shoaib's action was adjudged illegal and he was subsequently banned," said the legendary off-spinner when contacted by rediff.com over telephone.
Replying to queries about his personal opinion on the legitimacy of Akhtar's action, Prasanna said it is too early to comment on the issue since he had yet to view the tapes of the bowler's bowling action. He also said he was unaware of the fact that the committee which made the decision to ban the bowler lacked quorum when they met.
Australian cricket officials had claimed that representatives of all the nine Test-playing nations were present during the teleconference on the December 30, last year.
The Pakistan Cricket Board on the other hand has said that Prasanna and Andy Pycroft, the Zimbabwean representative did not participate in the teleconference which ruled against Akhtar.
PCB chief Tauqir Zia opined that the speedster was wronged.
"You cannot throw somebody out by raising objections on one delivery. We are not going to let his future be spoiled. Such bowlers are not born everyday. Bowlers like Shoaib are treasures to the game," said Zia.
The PCB has sent a three-page letter to the ICC outlining its objectives, claiming the ruling invalid because the panel had examined isolated deliveries and not all six of a given Akhtar over.
Mail Sports Editor
SINGLES | NEWSLINKS | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL BOOKINGS
AIR/RAIL | WEATHER | MILLENNIUM | BROADBAND | E-CARDS | EDUCATION
HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | CONTESTS | FEEDBACK