This article was first published 18 years ago

PM non-committal on names for President's post

Share:

May 18, 2007 12:02 IST

Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Friday remained non-committal on the Left mooting the idea of External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee for the President's post saying "its too premature" as talks are on with allies.

"I am not saying anything on this matter. It is not appropriate," he said on the sidelines of a function at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.

He was replying to a question whether he would spare Mukherjee for the top post especially in the wake of support from the Left parties on his name. "Discussions are on. It is too premature. We are discussing with all the allies," the prime minister said and made it clear that no names had been finalised as of yet.

The tenure of President A P J Abdul Kalam ends in July. The Left has come out in support of Mukherjee's name for the top post with CPM leader Sitaram Yechury saying, "If the Congress and the UPA put up Pranab Mukherjee, we will support it."

Share: