Advertisement

Help
You are here: Rediff Home » India » News » Photos
Search:  Rediff.com The Web
  Email this Page  |   Write to us

Oman Cyclone: Indian Death Toll 6

June 16, 2007
Four more Indians were confirmed to have died in the devastating cyclone that hit Oman last week, taking the toll of Indians to six, even as six others remain missing.

The bodies of Prithvi Pal Singh and Prempal Singh (both from Punjab) and Anil Kumar of Ottapalam at Palakkad in Kerala and Sarawana Kumar Pillai have been found, Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed told reporters in Delhi on Sunday.

Earlier, the deaths of Prakash from Mysore in Karnataka and Pokkan Sreenu, hailing from East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, were confirmed by authorities in Delhi.

The families of both the Singhs are settled in Muscat. The government also decided to waive for a month the charge of 30 Omanese Riyal collected from those in Oman who apply for duplicate passports.

"Many people have lost their passports and so we have decided to waive of the charges for a month," Ahamed said.

Two other Indians, Dharmarajan and Mohammed Abdul Rahim, both from Andhra Pradesh, were injured in the storm.

The sultanate is home to 3.86 lakh Indians.

Image: A destroyed bridge following Cyclone Guno in the Omani capital Muscat.
Photograph: Mohammed Mahjoub/AFP/Getty Images

Also See:
Indian community joins relief work in Oman
Oman cyclone: 4 more Indians confirmed dead
Back | Next

© 2014 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.Disclaimer | Feedback