NEWSLINKS US EDITION SOUTH ASIA COLUMNISTS DIARY SPECIALS INTERVIEWS CAPITAL BUZZ REDIFF POLL DEAR REDIFF THE STATES ELECTIONS ARCHIVES US ARCHIVES SEARCH REDIFF
Onkar Singh in New Delhi
The Central Bureau of Investigation has decided to ask Kumar Badal, a photo journalist working with tehelka.com, to make himself available for questioning in the poaching case that was registered by the Saharanpur police on May 23.
This was disclosed by CBI spokesman S M Khan in New Delhi.
"A team of thirteen officers had raided the office of tehelka.com and the residence of Kumar Badal in Vasundhara enclave. The searches continued for six to seven hours during which we have seized some documents relating to Kumar Badal, who has been named by two men arrested by the Uttar Pradesh police in the poaching case. We have seized a SIM card of Airtel through which Kumar Badal used to make his phone calls to two poachers Inam and Meharban," Khan told rediff.com.
He confirmed that no videotape has been seized from Kumar's office or his residence. It is alleged that Kumar had given money and a video camera to Meharban to film the skinning of three leopards in Uttaranchal forests.
"The team that conducted the raids is now processing the documents and we would now summon Kumar Badal for interrogation," Khan said.
Earlier Siddarth Luthra, advocate for tehelka.com had circulated copies of the legal notice sent to the CBI director among the mediapersons who had come to cover the Justice Venkataswami Commission hearing.
The notice alleged that the spokesman of the CBI had told television networks that Kumar Badal was absconding and the agency was looking for him.
Luthra claimed that no notice had been served to Kumar Badal under section 160 of the Criminal Procedure Code asking him to appear before the CBI for questioning.
Back to top
Tell us what you think of this report