rediff.com
rediff.com
News
      HOME | NEWS | REUTERS | REPORT
Tuesday
July 9, 2002
0935 IST

NEWSLINKS
US EDITION
SOUTH ASIA
COLUMNISTS
DIARY
SPECIALS
INTERVIEWS
CAPITAL BUZZ
REDIFF POLL
DEAR REDIFF
THE STATES
ELECTIONS
ARCHIVES
SEARCH REDIFF







 Click here for Low
 fares to India



 Top ways to make
 girls want u!



 Make money
 while you sleep.



 Secrets every
 mother should
 know


Reuters
 Search the Internet
         Tips

E-Mail this report to a friend
Print this page Best Printed on  HP Laserjets


Arrested Pakistanis planned to kill Musharraf

Imran Maqbool in Karachi

Two Pakistanis allegedly linked to Afghanistan's Taliban admitted on Monday that they were behind last month's car bomb attack on the US consulate in Karachi as well as a string of other attacks.

The pair, paraded by Pakistan paramilitary Rangers before a news conference in Karachi, said they had originally planned to assassinate President Pervez Musharraf in late April, but their car bomb had failed to detonate.

Instead, they detonated the bomb outside the US consulate on June 14, killing 12 people and seriously wounding over 20.

"I, along with my other friends, were involved in the US bombing," Mohammad Hanif told the news conference. "We acted in consultation. One of our friends, who was willing to be a suicide bomber, carried out the attack."

Major General Salahuddin, head of the paramilitary Pakistan Ranger force investigating the blast, told the news conference that Hanif and two colleagues had also been responsible for attacks on Western targets such as fast-food chains.

"We were able to nab three main culprits. They were involved in this consulate bombing," he said.

He said those arrested were members of the Harkat-ul-Mujahideen al-Almi, a group said to have close links to the Taliban.

The faction is also reported to have links to terrorists fighting in Jammu and Kashmir.

Harkat-ul-Mujahideen has long been on a blacklist of organisations deemed 'terrorist' by the United States.

The three arrested in Karachi included the al-Almi offshoot group's head, Mohammad Imran, who was also paraded at the news conference.

Mohammad Hanif was the deputy head and chief of the militant wing, while the third man was named as Mohammad Ahmed.

"Since 1988, I have been involved in jihad (holy struggle) in Kashmir and Afghanistan," Imran said.

Salahuddin said authorities had recovered a substantial quantity of weapons and ammunition, and that the organisation's network had been seriously disrupted.

Back to top
(c) Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

Tell us what you think of this report

ADVERTISEMENT      
NEWS | MONEY | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | CRICKET | SEARCH
ASTROLOGY | CONTESTS | E-CARDS | NEWSLINKS | ROMANCE | WOMEN
SHOPPING | BOOKS | MUSIC | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL| MESSENGER | FEEDBACK