rediff.com
rediff.com
News
      HOME | NEWS | REPORT
January 24, 2001

NEWSLINKS
US EDITION
COLUMNISTS
DIARY
SPECIALS
INTERVIEWS
CAPITAL BUZZ
REDIFF POLL
THE STATES
ELECTIONS
ARCHIVES
SEARCH REDIFF



Rediff Shopping
Shop & gift from thousands of products!
  Books     Music    
  Apparel   Jewellery
  Flowers   More..     

Safe Shopping

 Search the Internet
         Tips
E-Mail this report to a friend
Print this page

Custody of naval commando extended

A New Delhi court has extended the judicial custody of the arrested marine commando, who reportedly injured himself in a drama at the Navy chief's residence last month, for 14 more days to facilitate further investigation and interrogation.

Passing the order, Metropolitan Magistrate M C Gupta said accused Satbir Singh has been remanded to judicial custody till February 3.

On January 5, Gupta had rejected the application of the Indian Navy for taking Satbir into custody.

Gupta had said it was not appropriate to send accused Satbir Singh to the custody of the Navy. The investigation was on and the chargesheet is yet to be filed. Once sent to the Navy's custody, it would create a problem for the Crime Branch to carry out further investigations, he added.

Commanding officer Commodore S C Mevivi, in an application said, ''Satbir Singh serving under my command and subject to the Navy Act 1957, was arrested on January 2, 2001 by the Special Crime Branch of the Delhi Police under 182/193/336 IPC, 25/27/54/59 Arms Act and Explosive Substance Act. It is requested that the accused sailor be handed over to the Navy for a close custody till investigation is over and chargesheet is filed by the special team Crime Branch.''

Singh had confessed to the investigative agency that he shot himself on December 1 at the Navy chief's residence here to get himself discharged as a disabled. He even added that there was no intruder in the house.

Satbir, who had earlier made a statement that an intruder had attacked him and fired several rounds from closes quarter while he was on duty at the high security Navy House, said he was very keen to get back to his job.

According to Crime Branch officials, he had bought 308 feet of wire and a plier on November 30, 2000 from a shop in Rohtak, his home town. He had planted them in Navy House to hoodwink the police.

Satbir's father, a retired army captain, said his son was not mentally stable during that phase, as two younger brothers died within a short span. ''He is very keen to get back to his job. He has two small children and a wife to look after,'' he added.

The police said a case has been registered against Satbir under Section 182 (giving false information to a public servant to cause him to use his lawful power to the injury or annoyance of any person), Section 193 (giving and fabricating false evidence in a judicial proceeding or any other case), Section 336 (doing anything which endangers human life or the personal safety of others) and various Sections of the Arms and Explosive Acts.

UNI

EARLIER REPORT
Lying Marine Commando may face summary punishment

Back to top

Tell us what you think of this report

HOME | NEWS | CRICKET | MONEY | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | BROADBAND | TRAVEL
ASTROLOGY | NEWSLINKS | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL BOOKINGS
AIR/RAIL | WEDDING | ROMANCE | WEATHER | WOMEN | E-CARDS | SEARCH
HOMEPAGES | FREE MESSENGER | FREE EMAIL | CONTESTS | FEEDBACK