rediff.com
rediff.com
News Find/Feedback/Site Index
      HOME | NEWS | AFP | REPORT
January 24, 2000

MESSAGE BOARD
NEWSLINKS
US EDITION
COLUMNISTS
DIARY
SPECIALS
INTERVIEWS
CAPITAL BUZZ
REDIFF POLL
DEAR REDIFF
THE STATES
YEH HAI INDIA!
ELECTION 99
ELECTIONS
ARCHIVES

Search Rediff

Fernandes says CTBT in 'coma': AFP

E-Mail this report to a friend

Indian Defence Minister George Fernandes on Monday described the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty as a moribund document, with little chance of short-term resuscitation.

Last year's vote by the US Senate against ratification of the CTBT "resulted in the treaty sliding into a coma," Fernandes said in the inaugural address to an international conference on Asian security in the 21st century.

"This has introduced serious uncertainties about the treaty coming into force in the foreseeable future," Fernandes said.

India has been under intense US pressure to sign the CTBT since it conducted a series of underground nuclear tests in May 1998.

During his speech, Fernandes stressed India's nuclear policy was purely defensive, and "very close" in nature to that of its giant neighbour, China.

"We are committed not to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear states. Our strategy, therefore, will be one of retaliation only," the defence minister said. "This policy should reassure everyone who is not contemplating to pose a threat to India."

Fernandes also called for an "international" coalition to combat cross-border terrorism in Asia, which he warned was being driven by drug trafficking, money laundering and "religious extremism".

He specifically targeted Pakistan, which India has been seeking to have labelled a terrorist nation following the recent hijacking of an Indian Airlines plane that New Delhi charges Islamabad with masterminding.

"What we are experiencing is the continuing tragedy, imposed on innocent people by Pakistan, through its transnational, transborder terrorism for over 15 years," Fernandes said. "The level and viciousness of violence has been increasing."

Speaking to reporters after his speech, Fernandes warned Pakistan's military rulers to stop making threats and work on building an atmosphere conducive to the resumption of bilateral talks.

"Instead of speaking in language of threats, (Pakistan) should make conditions for some talking," Fernandes was quoted as saying by the Press Trust of India. "It is a pity there is no dialogue."

Fernandes' comments came after Pakistani military ruler General Pervez Musharraf threatened at the weekend to teach India a "lesson" if its troops crossed the disputed Indo-Pakistan border in Kashmir, known as the Line of Control.

Fernandes used his speech to deliver a timely plug for greater defence spending ahead of Finance Minister Yashwant Sinha's budget, scheduled to be unveiled on February 29.

Reductions in defence spending to 2.3 per cent of gross domestic product last year from 3.6 per cent in the mid-1980s had "seriously affected (the military's) modernisation and preparedness," Fernandes said. "Our experts feel that we must possess conventional capability of a sufficiently high level in order to lift the nuclear threshold as much as possible."

Back to top
©AFP 2000 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed. All reproduction or redistribution is expressly forbidden without the prior written agreement of AFP.

Tell us what you think of this report

HOME | NEWS | BUSINESS | MONEY | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | INFOTECH | TRAVEL
SINGLES | NEWSLINKS | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL BOOKINGS
AIR/RAIL | WEATHER | MILLENNIUM | BROADBAND | E-CARDS | EDUCATION
HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | CONTESTS | FEEDBACK