|
|
|
|
|
| HOME | NEWS | THE RAJAKUMAR ABDUCTION | REPORT | |||
|
August 28, 2000
NEWSLINKS
|
51 TADA detainees granted conditional bailFakir Chand in Mysore Mysore district and sessions court principal judge Rajendra Prasad granted conditional bail to all 51 Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act detainees on Monday afternoon. Their release is being demanded by forest brigand Veerappan, in return for freedom for Dr Rajakumar, the Kannada film icon kidnapped by him. The judge said that all the accused would be released on bail but they will have to be present in court when required. All the detainees were granted bail on the surety of Rs 10,000 each and if they fail to pay up, they will have to pay Rs 20,000. Earlier in the day, defence lawyer N Venugopal had argued that the court should consider that all the 51 were languishing in jail for seven years. The hearing, which began at 1100 hours IST, went on for nearly 40 minutes, when the judge heard Venugopal's arguments. State government prosecutor Ashwini Joshi told the court that the state had no objection if the accused were granted bail. However, the state government did not move for withdrawal of the case, which was one of Veerapan's demands for the release of Rajakumar and three others. Abdul Kareem, father of a slain sub-inspector of the Special Task Force, told rediff.com that he will approach the Supreme Court against the decision.
The Rajakumar Abduction: complete coverage |
||
|
HOME |
NEWS |
CRICKET |
MONEY |
SPORTS |
MOVIES |
CHAT |
BROADBAND |
TRAVEL ASTROLOGY | NEWSLINKS | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL BOOKINGS AIR/RAIL | WEDDING | ROMANCE | WEATHER | WOMEN | E-CARDS | EDUCATION HOMEPAGES | FREE MESSENGER | FREE EMAIL | CONTESTS | FEEDBACK |
|||