Rediff Logo News In the driver's seat - Rediff World Cup 99 - Wasim Akram Find/Feedback/Site Index
HOME | NEWS | REPORT
May 13, 1999

COMMENTARY
SPECIALS
INTERVIEWS
CAPITAL BUZZ
REDIFF POLL
DEAR REDIFF
THE STATES
YEH HAI INDIA!
ELECTIONS
ARCHIVES

SC asks for report on Fire cases against Sena men

E-Mail this report to a friend

The Centre and the Maharashtra government were today asked by the Supreme Court to file progress reports within six weeks on cases relating to the violence that followed the screening of the controversial film Fire last year.

Chief Justice Adarsh Sein Anand also asked the governments to file copies of first information reports, chargesheets and other documents after counsel for actor Dilip Kumar, who had faced the ire of Shiv Sena goons, and others, including film-maker Mahesh Bhatt, accused the state of trying to cover up the case.

The court was told by counsel Krishan Mahajan that though the FIR had said 400 people were involved in arson in Bombay, only 25 had been arrested and even their charges were not filed in court.

On February 12, the court had said it was dissatisfied with the affidavit filed by a deputy commissioner of police pursuant to an earlier direction.

A three-judge bench headed by Justice Anand had directed the Bombay police to file an additional affidavit stating the action taken in connection with the violent incidents of December 2 last year against the screening of the film on the ground that it contained scenes of lesbianism.

UNI

EARLIER REPORTS:
Security for Fire is states' lookout, says Mahajan
Fire cleared without cuts

Tell us what you think of this report

HOME | NEWS | BUSINESS | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | INFOTECH | TRAVEL | SINGLES
BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS | WORLD CUP 99
EDUCATION | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK