|
|
|
|
| HOME | NEWS | REPORT | |||
|
June 18, 1999
US EDITION
|
Court restrains businessman from threatening Kumar SanuA Durban businessman who allegedly telephonically threatened to harm Hindi playback singer Kumar Sanu and disrupt his forthcoming show in South Africa was restrained from doing so following an interim order granted in the Durban high court late Tuesday afternoon. The businessman, Shane Jaipal of Morewood Road, Clare Estate, was also restrained from threatening, assaulting or abusing the show promoter, Karamchand 'Sunny' Gayadin. The promoter of the Kumar Sanu concerts brought the urgent application against Jaipal, a former wrestling promoter, saying Jaipal had threatened his and Sanu's safety in South Africa. The interim order was granted by Justice Vivianne Niles-Dunner. Jaipal was given until June 29 to file a responding affidavit if any. Gayadin said in his affidavit that he would lose a substantial amount of money if Jaipal proceeded with his alleged threats to disrupt the shows. Gayadin, who conducts his business under the name R and R Promotions, claimed that Jaipal had made a number of threatening calls to him. Gayadin, represented by advocate Aslam Motala (instructed by Navin Govender), said Jaipal had apparently informed the public that the shows would not proceed peacefully. "The respondent telephoned Sanu in India and allegedly warned him not to go ahead with the shows in this country. Sanu advised me that in view of the alleged threats he feared for his life in South Africa and, requested me to seek the necessary court relief against Jaipal,'' he said. He added that Jaipal had allegedly contacted the press under false pretences and said the shows had been cancelled due to Sanu suffering from acute laryngitis. "As a result of these false claims, I incurred unnecessary costs to assure the public on national radio and in the press that the shows would be going ahead as planned. I believe Jaipal has a strained relationship with the show's co-ordinator, Ish Maharaj, and is therefore trying to disrupt the concerts,'' he said. Jaipal said yesterday he was aware of the restraining order but that he would also bring an application in the high court to stop the shows because he and Anil Singh of Chatsworth had "a contract'' with Sanu to perform here. However, neither Jaipal nor his attorney, Mahendra Hiramen, were able to show the contract. Gayadin said the Durban show would take place at Westridge Park Tennis Stadium on June 26. The first show in Gauteng is to be held at the Standard Bank Arena on Saturday and the Cape Town show is to be held on June 23 at the Cape Good Hope Centre. Sanu and his troupe arrive in Gauteng tomorrow. Zeenat Aman and Reena Roy, who are to perform in the show, are also due to arrive in South Africa.
|
|
HOME |
NEWS |
BUSINESS |
SPORTS |
MOVIES |
CHAT |
INFOTECH | TRAVEL |
SINGLES BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | GIFT SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS | WORLD CUP 99 EDUCATION | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK |
|