Rediff Logo News Stump Vision - Rediff World Cup 99 - Harsha Bhogle Find/Feedback/Site Index
HOME | NEWS | REPORT
April 28, 1999

COMMENTARY
SPECIALS
INTERVIEWS
CAPITAL BUZZ
REDIFF POLL
DEAR REDIFF
THE STATES
YEH HAI INDIA!
ELECTIONS
ARCHIVES

Communal clashes erupt in 4 UP districts, 1 killed

E-Mail this report to a friend

Sharat Pradhan in Lucknow

Normal life was disrupted in at least four districts of Uttar Pradesh where communal clashes broke out over the past 24 hours, it was officially disclosed in the state capital Lucknow.

But barring the death of a ten-year-old girl in arson in Moradabad, no killings were reported from any other place.

The incidents, however, left several persons injured. Nearly 60 persons were arrested.

While in Azamgarh and Lucknow, trouble broke out between the Shia and Sunni Muslim sects, Hindu-Muslim clashes were witnessed in the communally sensitive Moradabad and Rampur districts.

But according to Principal Home Secretary V K Mittal, "The situation was promptly brought under control in each of the places and no serious casualties were reported from anywhere."

Significantly, barring minor scuffles here and there, the otherwise sensitive festival of Moharrum had passed off peacefully on Tuesday, April 27.

But violence erupted in Rampur and Azamgarh late last night, while Lucknow and Moradabad witnessed clashes this morning.

Narrating each of the incidents, Mittal said, "Violence flared up in the Moradabad suburb of Bellary over the construction of a mosque on private land; members of the rival community objected to the construction, which resulted in the clashes and arson, which left seven houses ablaze."

A ten-year-old girl got caught in one of the fires and was charred to death. Ten others were injured. But, Mittal said, "prompt action resulted in nine of the culprits being arrested while the police are trying to track down the others".

In Rampur, the story was similar. A group of Jatavs (a Harijan sect) objected to the Moharrum procession being taken out through their locality. Mittal said, "Their objection was to the music and band that was being played from an accompanying tractor-trailor; a clash ensued." As many as 28 persons were arrested.

Police took 15 persons into custody in Lucknow, where the traditional rivalry between the Shias and Sunnis erupted again in violence after a prolonged truce that had been brokered by Chief Minister Kalyan Singh the last time he ruled the state.

The clash between youths of the two sects left seven persons injured. "They have been hospitalised and are out of danger," Mittal said.

Curfew has been imposed in parts of Old Lucknow, the core of today's trouble, District Magistrate Sada Kant told reporters. He, however, said it was only a "preventive measure".

Mittal said "warnings have been issued across to other communally sensitive districts as well and officials have been told to quell violence at all costs".

EARLIER REPORT: 50 hurt in clashes; curfew in Lucknow

Tell us what you think of this report

HOME | NEWS | BUSINESS | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | INFOTECH | TRAVEL | SINGLES
BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS | WORLD CUP 99
EDUCATION | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK