This article was first published 22 years ago

Harmison ruled out of Lanka Tests

Share:

November 19, 2003 18:33 IST

England strike bowler Steve Harmison has been ruled out of the Test series against Sri Lanka with a back injury, the England and Wales Cricket Board said on Wednesday.

Harmison was sent home from Bangladesh last month after straining his back and missed the second Test.

"He bowled at the National Academy a week ago and he was sore for a few days

afterwards," Peter Gregory, the ECB's chief medical officer, said in a statement. "Then he returned for a fitness test on Monday and, when bowling his second spell in the nets, it was clear that he could not continue."

Seamer Richard Johnson will replace Harmison in the squad for the three-Test series, with the first match due to start in Galle on December 2.

Share: