Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Mike Rodgers banned nine months for doping

March 02, 2012 09:37 IST

U.S. sprinter Mike Rodgers has accepted a nine-month ban for a failed drug test but will still be able to compete in the London Olympics if he qualifies, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) said on Thursday.

The former American 100 metres champion, who tested positive at an event in Italy last July, will be banned through April 19, making him eligible for the U.S. Olympic trials in June if he meets testing requirements.

The 26-year-old U.S. world indoor 60 metres silver medallist originally said the banned stimulant was in a drink he had at a club in Italy. Rodgers's agent told Reuters the sprinter would make a statement later on Thursday.

USADA said Rodgers, the second fastest American and seventh fastest globally last year at 100 metres, gave "inaccurate and misleading testimony" at his hearing but eventually agreed to his ban before the arbitration panel could act upon it.

Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2026 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

More News Coverage

Mike RodgersUSADAItalyReutersOUSADA

RELATED STORIES

WEB STORIES

8 Places From The World Of Sherlock Holmes & Doyle

The Art Of Tea: 7 Special Tea Recipes

9 Famous Tea Rooms Of The World

VIDEOS

NEWS BUSINESS MOVIES CRICKET SPORTS GET AHEAD REDIFF-TV REDIFF ASTRO MOBILE RECHARGE BILL PAYMENTS