Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Govt approves 20 battalions for SSB

March 30, 2005 01:19 IST
Source:PTI

The government on Tuesday approved 20 additional battalions comprising about 20,000 personnel for the Sashastra Seema Bal.

The decision to increase the strength of the 25,000-personnel SSB was taken by the Cabinet Committee on Security meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

SSB, which was given the task of guarding the 1,751-km Indo-Nepal and 661-km Indo-Bhutan borders just two years ago, had made a request for an additional 20 battalions for effective patrolling.

Two days ago, Home Minister Shivraj Patil had said the budgetary outlay for the force had been increased by over 47 per cent this fiscal.

Influx of Nepalese Maoists into India has gone up sharply since the royal takeover in the Himalayan kingdom on February one. The activity of Pakistani agents in border areas has also increased, SSB officials said.

 

Source: PTI
© Copyright 2026 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

WEB STORIES

Katrina Kaif's Top 10 Songs

13 Bengali Veg Dishes That Make You Go Bong Bong!

7 Wonderful Car-Free Places In The World

VIDEOS

NewsBusinessMoviesSportsCricketGet AheadDiscussionLabsMyPageVideosCompany Email