Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Missing executive was not kidnapped; Police

August 13, 2007 11:45 IST
By Onkar Singh in New Delhi

Deepak Mendiratta, a Gurgaon executive, who went missing on August 2, returned home on Sunday, claiming that he had been kidnapped.

But the Delhi and Gurgaon police refused to buy his claim. The 33-year-old man looked restless and drowsy on his return.

Assistant Commissioner of Police, Delhi (East) Sumit Kumar said Mendiratta was unfit to make a statement.

"We are waiting for doctors to declare him fit," he said.

Mendiratta's car was found burnt on the Delhi-Guregoan highway, raising suspicion that he had been kidnapped. But a guard on the spot claimed to have spotted a man running away from the burning car.

The executive reportedly has debts up to Rs 22 lakh. Sources said he might have set ablaze the car to claim the insurance money to clear his debts.

The police said they will book Mendiratta if they found him lying.

Onkar Singh in New Delhi

WEB STORIES

Katrina Kaif's Top 10 Songs

13 Bengali Veg Dishes That Make You Go Bong Bong!

7 Wonderful Car-Free Places In The World

VIDEOS

NewsBusinessMoviesSportsCricketGet AheadDiscussionLabsMyPageVideosCompany Email