Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Intellectuals ask govt to respond to Maoist offer

February 23, 2010 18:10 IST
Source:PTI
A group of intellectuals appealed to the Indian government to respond to the Communist Party of India-Maoist's truce offer immediately in the interests of common people.

Welcoming the Maoist announcement of a 72-day ceasefire, the intellectuals under the aegis of 'Citizens Initiative for Peace' said, "this opportunity should not be missed. Armed operations by government and Maoists should cease immediately, so that dialogue can begin."

"We recall that Home Minister P Chidambaram had said that the government would be willing to talk if the Maoists abjured violence for 72 hours. We had earlier welcomed that statement. From this development it appears that both sides have accepted the necessity for talks," they said.

The statement was signed by activists and intellectuals including Manoranjan Mohanty, K B Saxena, Sumit Chakravarty, Nandini Sundar, Ujjwal Singh and Shalini Gera. The members of the Citizens for Peace Initiative include former Lok Sabha Speaker Rabi Ray, former Delhi High Court Chief Justice Rajindar Sachar and writer Mahasweta Devi.
Source: PTI
© Copyright 2026 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

More News Coverage

Lok Sabha Speaker Rabi RayCommunist Party of India-MaoistCitizens for Peace InitiativeDelhi High CourtNandini Sundar

RELATED STORIES

WEB STORIES

9 Things To Know About Sugar Substitute Stevia

8 Places From The World Of Sherlock Holmes & Doyle

The Art Of Tea: 7 Special Tea Recipes

VIDEOS

NEWS BUSINESS MOVIES CRICKET SPORTS GET AHEAD REDIFF-TV REDIFF ASTRO MOBILE RECHARGE BILL PAYMENTS