Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Watson ruled out of Ashes opener

November 21, 2006 13:24 IST

Australia all-rounder Shane Watson has been ruled out of the first Test against England starting in Brisbane on Thursday after failing to recover from a hamstring injury, Cricket Australia said on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old injured the hamstring while bowling for Queensland last week and was ruled out after he was unable to bowl during practice on Tuesday, his training restricted to a few laps of the outfield with team physio Alex Kountouris.

"I've done everything I can over the last three days to give it a shot but unfortunately I was only a few days away," Watson told reporters at the Gabba.

"It's not a good feeling, it's something I've been working towards over the past six months. I feel my game has really improved and that I have earned this spot in the Australian cricket team." Watson, who will be replaced by batsman Michael Clarke in the Australian starting XI, said he hopes to be fit in time for the second Test starting in Adelaide on December 1.

Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2026 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

WEB STORIES

The Chia Cure: 8 Reasons To Have Chia Seeds

10 Foods That Are Good For Your Gut

Amish's Baked Eggplant: 30-Min Recipe

VIDEOS

NewsBusinessMoviesSportsCricketGet AheadDiscussionLabsMyPageVideosCompany Email