Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Latif banned for six months

December 01, 2004 20:50 IST

Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif was banned for six months on Wednesday by the Pakistan Cricket BoardĀ for conceding a domestic match while captaining his team Karachi.

"The chairman of the PCB has taken serious notice of the breach of playing conditions by Rashid Latif and given his past record has decided to impose a fine of $250 on him and ban him for six months from all first-class cricket," PCB spokesman Abbas Zaidi said.

The 36-year-old Latif, leading the Karachi Blues side in a match in Faisalabad, declared his team's innings on 40 for four and conceded the match saying the pitch was too dangerous.

Latif, who has played 37 Tests and 166 One-Day Internationals, captained Pakistan until November 2003.

"I have nothing to say at this moment," Latif said.

Latif is now out of contention for the Test series in Australia starting this month and next year's tours of India and West Indies.

Latif has been no stranger to controversy during his career, which started in 1992.

Among other incidents, he accused team mates of being involved in match-fixing in 1995, was banned for five one-day matches for wrongly claiming a catch in a game against Bangladesh last year and has criticised PCB selection policies.

Source: REUTERS
© Copyright 2026 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

WEB STORIES

Katrina Kaif's Top 10 Songs

13 Bengali Veg Dishes That Make You Go Bong Bong!

7 Wonderful Car-Free Places In The World

VIDEOS

NewsBusinessMoviesSportsCricketGet AheadDiscussionLabsMyPageVideosCompany Email