Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

IPL: Franchises seek clear rules on foreign player availability

May 24, 2026 16:42 IST
Source:PTI  -  Edited By: Aadharsh A V
3 Minutes Read

IPL teams are urging the BCCI and international cricket boards to improve coordination and clarity regarding the availability of foreign players, ensuring franchises can plan effectively and fans can see marquee players in action.

IMAGE: Australian pacer Mitchell Starc featured in only five games for Delhi Capitals after being ruled out of early IPL 2026 matches due to workload management. Photograph: BCCI

Key Points

Calling foreign players' availability in the IPL a sensitive issue, Punjab Kings co-owner Mohit Burman observed that BCCI, foreign boards and other stakeholders can do better to ensure that overseas players are available through the world's biggest T20 league's duration.

The BCCI has a two-year ban in place for foreign players who pull out of the IPL after being bought in the auction with an exception made for injured cricketers.

 

Challenges of Foreign Player Participation in IPL

Yet, foreign player availability, especially of star players, remains an issue. For example, Mitchell Starc was only cleared by Cricket Australia for the second half of this season's tournament and by that time Delhi Capitals' fate in the tournament was more or less sealed.

Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood too were not available for their respective IPL teams from day one of the tournament due to niggles.

Speaking to PTI, Burman spoke his mind on the touchy topic.

"It is a sensitive issue because international cricket calendars are extremely crowded, and players also have commitments to their national boards. But ideally, when a player commits to a franchise, there should be as much clarity as possible around availability.

      • Arjun Earns Dad Sachin's Praise...

Franchise Perspective on Player Availability

"From a franchise perspective, planning becomes difficult when key players are unavailable for significant portions of the tournament despite being major auction investments.

"Fans also expect to see marquee players from the start of the season. At the same time, solutions have to come through collaboration rather than confrontation. The BCCI, franchises, players and international boards all need to align schedules better and create clearer commitments," said Burman, who owns 48 percent share of the Punjab franchise.

Coaches Express Frustration

When asked earlier this month, Delhi Capitals head coach Hemang Badani had expressed his frustration on player availability especially when that team member is a trump card like Starc.

"Ideally, I would want my players to be available to me from day one. But if there are certain things decided by associations and governing bodies, there's very little that we can do," he had said.

"Because if Cricket Australia does not release him, which was also the case with Hazlewood, also the case with Pat Cummins, there's little a coach or any franchise can do about that. Hopefully, we have a solution to it in the future," said Badani.

Source: PTI  -  Edited By: Aadharsh A V
© Copyright 2026 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

More News Coverage

iplforeign playersbcciplayer availabilitycricket

RELATED STORIES

WEB STORIES

9 Things To Know About Sugar Substitute Stevia

8 Places From The World Of Sherlock Holmes & Doyle

The Art Of Tea: 7 Special Tea Recipes

VIDEOS

NEWS BUSINESS MOVIES CRICKET SPORTS GET AHEAD REDIFF-TV REDIFF ASTRO MOBILE RECHARGE BILL PAYMENTS