Rediffmail Money rediffGURUS BusinessEmail

Brett Lee remains in contention for the World Cup

October 27, 2010 10:04 IST
Source: ANI

Australian fast bowler Brett Lee needs more cricket after a six-month layoff with an elbow injury, chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch has said.

Hilditch's comments come after Lee was not included in the national squad for next month's three-match series against Sri Lanka.

"It's not something he's particularly happy with, he thinks he's ready to go," Fox Sports quoted Hilditch, as saying. 

"But we still feel after a very long period off with injury, and then to come back on pretty limited preparation to what is really three one-day internationals in six days, I think is just a bit too much at this stage," he added.

Hilditch however said that Lee remained "very much" in contention for the World Cup on the subcontinent in February.

"He's making really good progress and seems to be back bowling really well. We're hoping he'll be fully fit and roaring to go for the World Cup," Hilditch said.

Lee has not played any ODI for Australia since October last year, but returned successfully to state cricket last week by taking two wickets against Western Australia.

The Australian's career has been plagued by fitness problems, ranging from a side strain and elbow surgery to a broken thumb and a forearm injury.

Source: ANI

More News Coverage

Brett LeeAndrew HilditchFox SportsWestern AustraliaODI

WEB STORIES

8 Places From The World Of Sherlock Holmes & Doyle

The Art Of Tea: 7 Special Tea Recipes

9 Famous Tea Rooms Of The World

VIDEOS

NEWS BUSINESS MOVIES CRICKET SPORTS GET AHEAD REDIFF-TV REDIFF ASTRO MOBILE RECHARGE BILL PAYMENTS