The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has sought clarification from Reliance Infocomm on the company's plans to offer WLL limited mobility services, bundled with national long-distance calls, at a flat rate of Rs 14,500 for three years.
Top sources in Trai said the authority had sought a meeting with Reliance Infocomm officials, seeking explanation on the costing, based on which the tariffs had been arrived at.
Sources said a meeting between Trai and Reliance Infocomm officials was expected to take place on Wednesday.
Top Reliance officials are expected to arrive from Mumbai for making a presentation to the regulator.
The regulator has also objected to Reliance's plans to charge for in-coming calls on its WLL services when the tariff regime for WLL services envisages free incoming.
Trai had earlier raised similar objections to the tariffs announced by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd for its cellular services wherein the company had offered free incoming calls from its fixed-line network to CellOne subscribers.
Reliance Infocomm, expected to launch its countrywide WLL limited mobility services on December 28, had proposed bundling a certain number of free NLD calls per month for three years for a one-time payment of Rs 14,500.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court is expected to give its verdict on the government's policy decision to allow WLL services to basic operators.
While the cellular operators had objected to the policy decision on the grounds that it was giving companies like Reliance a backdoor entry into the mobility sector, the basic operators have argued that the policy allows affordable services.