Walt Disney Company's proposal to set up office in the country to launch a broad range of media and entertainment products has been cleared on the condition that it will not broadcast from Indian soil, Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
While replying in the affirmative on whether the company's proposal has been cleared by the government, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said in a written reply: "One of the conditions of the approval given by the government is that the company would not undertake any broadcasting from Indian soil unless specifically permitted to do so."
Prasad said the company has not applied so far to uplink from the country.
In reply to another question on whether Prasar Bharti has been incurring continuous losses due to the functioning of Doordarshan, the minister said a total of Rs 3,368.5 crore (Rs 33.68 billion) has been provided by the government to the corporation from April 1, 2000 to March 31, 2003.