HOME
NEWS
BUSINESS
MOVIES
SPORTS
CRICKET
GET AHEAD
SHOPPING
rediff NewsApp
Rediff News
All News

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp
Rediff.com  » Cricket » Cricket Buzz: PCB to appeal to ICC over compensation for bilateral series

Cricket Buzz: PCB to appeal to ICC over compensation for bilateral series

ShareComment
Text size:  A   A   A
September 22, 2017 17:03 IST

PCB official Najam Sethi with other ICC officials in this file photo

IMAGE: PCB official Najam Sethi with other ICC officials in this file photo. Photograph: Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to pursue the compensation claim case against the BCCI with the 'Disputes Resolution Committee' of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

PCB Chairman, Najam Sethi is in the UK meeting with the British legal firm for advise. PCB's chief operating officer, Subhan Ahmad has also flown to London for the same purpose.

According to Sethi, the PCB's board of governors has approved an amount of over US$1 million to cover the expenses and legal costs of filing and fighting the case before the ICC disputes resolution committee.

"The claim will be formally filed with the ICC any day now as the PCB has been told it has very good chances of winning the compensation claim against the BCCI," a PCB official told PTI.

The PCB is seeking compensation from the BCCI for not honouring a MOU signed between the two boards in 2014 under which the two countries were to play six bilateral series from 2015 to 2023.

"PCB is confident of success because since 2015 it has offered the BCCI to even play at neutral venues if their government is not interested in sending the team to Pakistan or inviting Pakistan team India for security reasons," the official said.

The BCCI has maintained it can't play any bilateral matches against Pakistan without the clearance of its government.

Uncapped Markram to open for South Africa v Bangladesh

South Africa's Aiden Markram at a nets session 

IMAGE: South Africa's Aiden Markram at a nets session. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images via Reuters

South Africa named the uncapped duo of Andile Phehlukwayo and Aiden Markram for next week's first Test against Bangladesh in Potchefstroom, with the latter to make his debut as an opener.

Both were part of the South Africa squad that lost 3-1 away in England earlier this year, with the 22-year-old Markram now set to be the laTest to try and solve the troublesome opening position alongside Dean Elgar.

The right-handed batsman, who captained South Africa to victory at the 2014 under-19 World Cup, scored 119 and 87 as skipper of the Titans in their on-going domestic four-day match against the Dolphins.

"Aiden has been knocking on the door for some time now," Cricket South Africa national selection panel convener Linda Zondi said in a statement on Friday.

"He gained valuable insight into the Proteas team culture during the tour of England and he has shown maturity beyond his years."

Phehlukwayo will vie with the more experienced Wayne Parnell for the all-rounder's position, though the latter faces a fitness Test with Chris Morris also ruled out with injury.

South Africa are also missing seamers Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander through injury.

The opening Test, which starts at SenwesPark on Thursday, is the first fixture in charge for new coach Ottis Gibson.

The second and final Test will be played in Bloemfontein from Oct. 6-10.

South Africa squad:

Faf du Plessis (captain), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, Dean Elgar, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Duanne Olivier, Wayne Parnell, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada.

AGENCIES
ShareComment